Awards and Recognitions with Boston
Gold Glove Award, 2005
Career Batting Statistics for Jason Varitek with Boston
Visit Baseball-Reference.com for more on Jason Varitek
Memorable Moments for Jason Varitek
- 31 July 1997 - The Red Sox perhaps make the best deal in franchise history when they send Heathcliff Slocumb to the Mariners in exchange for future All-Stars Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe.
- 6 October 2003 - Boston completes the comeback from an 0-2 series deficit with a 4-3 win over Oakland in Game Five of the division series. Jason Varitek and Manny Ramirez both homer to score all four Boston runs and Derek Lowe comes from the bullpen to record the final three outs.
- 24 July 2004 - Jason Varitek and Alex Rodriguez rumble after the latter is hit by a Bronson Arroyo pitch in the third; Boston gets the last laugh and rallies to win 11-10 over New York at Fenway Park thanks to Bill Mueller's two-run home run in the ninth off Yankees closer Mariano Rivera.
- 24 October 2004 - Boston wins Game Two of the 2004 World Series 6-2 over St. Louis at Fenway Park thanks to another surprising performance from starter Curt Schilling, who allows an unearned run in six innings of work with blood leeching through his sock from his reconstructed right ankle. Jason Varitek leads the offensive attack for the Red Sox with a two-run triple.
- 11 May 2005 - One day after teammate Kevin Millar wins the game for Boston with a walk-off, two-run home run for a 3-2 Red Sox win over the Athletics, Jason Varitek victimizes Oakland reliever Octavio Dotel with a two-run walk-off home run of his own as the Red Sox win 7-6.
- 22 April 2007 - Manny Ramirez, J. D. Drew, Mike Lowell, and Jason Varitek hit four consecutive home runs in the third inning, the first time in Red Sox history this feat has occurred. All four home runs were off of 10 pitches from Yankees rookie Chase Wright, making just his second major league start. Boston eventually wins 7-6.
- 30 April 2008 - For the second game in a row, Boston beats Toronto with a ninth-inning, two-out base hit that scores the winning run; catcher Jason Varitek singles home Manny Ramirez to give the Sox a 2-1 win one day after Kevin Youkilis plates David Ortiz in a 1-0 victory over the Blue Jays.
- 30 January 2009 - Veteran catcher Jason Varitek signs a one-year deal with Boston with club and player options for a second season. The Red Sox captain is unable to find another team interested in his services, while the team is unable to find a suitable replacement for its Gold Glove catcher.
- 1 March 2012 - Catcher Jason Varitek makes it official and retires after 15 seasons with the Red Sox in which he caught four no-hitters. He also ends his career having caught 1,488 games, most in franchise history.