Date of birth: 30 March 1989
Primary position: Pitcher
Career Pitching Statistics through 2018 Season
Awards and Recognition with Boston
AL The Sporting News Pitcher of the Year (Starter), 2017
Strikeouts Leader (308), 2017
Memorable Moments for Chris Sale
- 6 December 2016 - The Red Sox trade infielder Yoan Moncada, pitcher Michael Kopech, outfielder Luis Alexander Basabe, and pitcher Victor Diaz to the White Sox for pitcher Chris Sale.
- 20 December 2016 - The Red Sox trade ten-year veteran Clay Buchholz to the Phillies, a month after picking up his 2017 option. The move becomes possible after the Red Sox receive Chris Sale in a trade with the Chicago White Sox earlier in the month.
- 29 August 2017 - Chris Sale strikes out Kevin Pillar in the second inning, the 1500th of his career, setting a new MLB mark for the fewest innings to reach that mark (1290). The Red Sox best the Blue Jays 3-0.
- 20 September 2017 - With Ryan Flaherty being called out on strikes for the last out of the eighth inning, Chris Sale becomes just the second pitcher in franchise history and the 16th in MLB history to strike out at least 300 batters in a single season. The mark punctuates a 9-0 win for the Red Sox over the Orioles in Baltimore. Previously, the only other Red Sox player to strike out at least 300 in a season had been Pedro Martinez in 1999 (313).
- 9 October 2017 - Chris Sale and Craig Kimbrel are unable to hold a late lead and, despite an inside-the-park home run from Rafael Devers to lead off the bottom of the ninth, the Red Sox lose 5-4 to the Astros at Fenway Park in Game Four of the ALDS. The loss ends Boston's postseason run, while Houston goes on to win its first World Championship later that postseason.
- 11 May 2018 - Chris Sale becomes the third pitcher in club history to have a start that features 15 strikeouts and no walks, but the Blue Jays best the Red Sox 5-3 on a walk-off two run home run in the 12th inning from Luke Maile. Sale joins Roger Clemens (three times) and Pedro Martinez (four times) as the only Boston pitchers to accomplish the feat.
- 22 March 2019 - The Red Sox and Chris Sale agree to a five-year, $145 million contract extension that will keep the southpaw in Boston through the 2024 season, with a possible opt-out after the 2022 season. The deal also includes a $20 million vesting option that kicks in if Sale finishes the 2024 in the top ten of that year's Cy Young vote and he does not finish the year on the injured list.