Date of birth: 23 November 1980
Primary position: Pitcher
Career Pitching Statistics through 2018 Season
Awards and Recognition with Boston
Babe Ruth Award, 2007
Memorable Moments for Jonathan Papelbon
- 29 April 2006 - In a 9-6 win over Tampa Bay, Boston rookie closer Jonathan Papelbon earns his 10th save in 10 chances; he became the first big league pitcher to get 10 saves in April after entering that season without a save. He also sets a major league rookie record and the Red Sox team mark for saves during April.
- 19 July 2006 - Josh Beckett and Jonathan Papelbon combine for Boston's second consecutive 1-0 shutout over Kansas City, the first time since 1916 that the Red Sox had won back-to-back 1-0 wins at Fenway Park. Rookie pitcher Jon Lester had allowed just one hit in eight innings of work the previous day against the Royals and Papelbon had worked a perfect ninth.
- 13 July 2008 - Closer Jonathan Papelbon saves his 100th career game, only the third Boston pitcher to reach the century mark, as the Red Sox beat the Baltimore Orioles 2-1 at Fenway Park.
- 22 July 2008 - Jonathan Papelbon notches save number 30 on the season, the first Boston pitcher to save at least 30 games in three separate seasons, as the Red Sox double up the Seattle Mariners, 4-2.
- 1 July 2009 - After relinquishing a nine-run lead to the Orioles the night before in an 11-10 loss, the Red Sox score four runs in the ninth to erase a 5-1 deficit and win 6-5 in 11 innings thanks to Julio Lugo's RBI single. Closer Jonathan Papelbon, who failed to set the franchise mark for career saves the previous night, pitches a perfect frame to give him 133 career saves, all with Boston.
- 11 October 2009 - The Angels win their first postseason series over the Red Sox with a three-game sweep in the ALDS. With a 6-4 lead in the ninth at Fenway Park, Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon allows three two-out runs and the Sox are unable to score off Brian Fuentes as Los Angeles exacts its revenge against a team that had beaten the franchise in four previous playoff series.
- 4 June 2011 - J.D. Drew singles home Carl Crawford in the 14th inning to give the Red Sox a 9-8 win over the Athletics at Fenway Park. Oakland had rallied with four runs in the top of the ninth off closer Jonathan Papelbon and had taken a brief 8-7 lead in the top of the 11th, but back-to-back doubles in the bottom of the frame from Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jacoby Ellsbury allows for the eventual walk-off hit from Drew.
- 11 November 2011 - Free agent Jonathan Papelbon signs a four-year deal with the Philadelphia Phillies. The former Red Sox closer collected 219 saves in seven seasons with Boston, the franchise leader in that category.